Why study Business?
STUDYING BUSINESS STUDIES IS AN EXCELLENT PATHWAY FOR FUTURE EXCITING CAREERS. IT ALLOWS STUDENTS TO GAIN AN INSIGHT INTO ALL ASPECTS OF BUSINESS, FROM CREATING YOUR OWN BUSINESS TO MANAGEMENT AND INVESTMENT.
All the major aspects of Business are investigated. Students learn about:
- People management – applying for jobs, management and motivation
- Marketing – tactics used by companies to promote products
- Global influences and ethics – How businesses becomes global, how they impact people from around the world eg Fair Trade
- Finance – accounting, tax, forecasting
- Production – looks at how things are made, different processes
What will I learn about?
Business 1 – Exam 1: The following topics are covered:
- Business Activity – how business is run and the different set
- Marketing – the different strategies used for pricing, promotion and the
- People – investigate law, recruitment, training and
Business 2 – Exam 2: The following topics are covered:
- Operations – how products are manufactured using different
- Finance – Investigate sources of finance, the meanings of key words, break even and cash
- Influences on Business – here students will investigate ethics in Business and how major external influences such as BREXIT impact
How will I be assessed?
In class, end of unit assessments are used. This is to identify the level of progress being made and to highlight areas where the student needs extra support. Homework is also tracked and recorded in the students workbook – highlighting strengths and weakness is various areas.
At the end of the course, the students sit two examinations: see: what will I study?
- Each exam is 50% of the GCSE
- Each exam has 80 marks – 15 of which are multiple choice
- Each exam is 1 hour and 30 mins
What happens in lessons?
All lessons are centred around learning about the topics identified above.
All lessons focus on memory recall, here students using mini whiteboards to recall information from past units. This is very successful and all year groups demonstrate good progress using this method. The lessons will also contain case study material. This is used to allow students to build their analysis techniques which are part of the examinations. Students PPOP, self-assess and peer-assess work during lesson. Homework is set every fortnight and tends to focus on 6 to 9 mark questions
What are some of the skills I will need?
Good communication, research and critical thinking are also essential qualities in order to be successful. You will need to be organised – keeping a structure to your work.
Our Subjects at KS4